Thursday, April 3, 2014

Figs again and a bit of rain today

Firstly, yes I'm still slicing and dicing the figs. This morning I made another batch of jam. I also made fig ice cream, using this recipe I found on Pinterest:


It's in the freezer as I type, quite a different technique to either the parfait style ice cream I usually make (see recipe here), or the 'custard' type of ice cream where you heat the egg yolk mixture. This one you just whip the egg yolks and sugar then add cream, milk and vanilla then put in ice cream machine. The fig 'sauce' is layered with the ice cream after it has spent a while in the freezer to firm up some.

Meanwhile, the fig and chocolate cake/bread was a great success. The recipe made quite a lot of mixture - I ended up filling 2 loaf pans, although I must say they didn't rise a great deal. I'm always hesitant to fill a cake pan more than 1/2 way in case it doesn't cook in the middle!



And the other thing about today is that we finally had a bit of rain, didn't last long but it was a reasonable shower. Has been so dry for so long that we really need the rain. I'm especially pleased because I sowed a whole lot of peas this morning!

Yes those are rain clouds!

That's not mist it's rain!

7 comments:

Shaheen said...

I like figs in cake, but hjave never tried it in an ice-cream, will have to keep this in mind, looks yummy

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Shaheen
Well the verdict on the ice cream was it was OK, a bit too chunky though so if I make this recipe again I will definitely chop the figs smaller than quarters! I see there are lots of other fig ice cream recipes to try so perhaps we haven't found the ideal one for us yet!
Definitely nice in cakes though aren't they.
Bridget :-)

Gollim said...

Wow you have busy. I have not looked at your page for awhile you have been far more productive then I. Be nice when we have enough grapes that we would get sick of eating them. Had good crops of apples and peaches and plums. Other fruits still to come in an abundance. Out of 16 fejoa trees we have about 3 kilos of fejoas cant work that out. As for your jars they should be fine if they do not crack while being sterilised in oven if you do it like that they wont I do not think.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Gollim
Our feijoas haven't done well this year either, too dry I think. Possums have left them alone this year though.
Yes the jars. I boiled up quite a few yesterday to test them, and all were fine. Maybe I'm just being too fussy about the smallest of marks, obviously not a problem which is a big relief I was gutted thinking I couldn't use 2 large boxfuls!
Must talk soon Bx

Ockduspock said...

Yay for rain! And wow, so many figs! They look amazing!

Ockduspock said...

Yay for rain! And wow, so many figs! They look amazing!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ock Du Spock
Yes yay for rain but we've had none since then so still really dry!
There were a lot of figs, G saw a tree and asked the owner if it was OK to have some, came home with a huge bagful. Fantastic!