Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Damson jam

A couple of weeks ago I spotted Damsons for sale at our local organic shop. (Yes it has taken me all this time to write about it sorry!). We do have a Damson plum tree but it is very small and a long way off fruiting, so I was thrilled to see Damsons for sale and promptly bought the lot!


These little tart plums are excellent for jams and sauces. They are definitely on the small side - almost the size of very large grapes, and as such it would have been a bit fiddly to try to remove the stones (I don't have an olive pitter, probably would be a good investment for next time!). Instead I just cut into the fruit before putting it in the pot, and spent a bit of time once the jam was set removing the stones prior to bottling. I used this recipe and made up several batches. I'm really pleased with the quality of the jam, it set really well and has a lovely dark colour and taste.




4 comments:

BLD in MT said...

I've not heard of this variety. We planted a plum tree at our place last year...still a long ways from fruiting. Its a multiplum graft though so we should have some variety in due time. Your jam looks super yummy. I love your jar labels, too!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Beth
This is a European or English variety. Will be very exciting when your tree does fruit!
The labels were 'freebies' that came with gardening magazines.

Unknown said...

Oh i LOVE damson jam! My great-nana used to make it but i've never tried making my own, definitely on my list now :)
new follower from me :) xx

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hello Undomestic Diva and thank you so much for your comment :-) Hope you give the jam making a go, it's well worth it :-)