|Homemade strawberry jam|
Our strawberry plants have recently started producing lots of lovely fruit, maybe with the rains we've had coupled with the hot weather. Anyway, G picked a large bowlful the other day, just on 1kgs worth, so I decided to make some jam with them. In previous years I've not had much success getting the jam to set however, so this time I used 'jam setting' sugar (basically it has citric acid and pectin added).
The jam was quick to make. I used the recipe on the bag of sugar, which advised boiling for only 4 minutes (although I could perhaps have boiled it a minute or so longer to set it just a tiny bit more). The result was good though, a nice brightly coloured jam with a really strong and fresh strawberry flavour. From 1kg of fruit, I made 5 average sized jars (about 300-330g each).
Now I'm looking forward to the day we can harvest enough raspberries to make raspberry jam!