|Melting the tallowate|
|Mixing the soap|
A few days ago I made up a batch of cold pressed soap, tried out using beef fat (tallowate), with coconut oil and olive oil. All was going well until I added my essential oil then we got into trouble with the soap seizing.... For those that don't know, this means it went thick really fast and I then had to press it into the molds instead of pouring. I could melt it and remold which I might try for some of it. The texture is wrong, but at the end of the day it is still a usable soap. You can see from the photo of the finished soap, how they look from me pressing the mixture into the molds!
The next step for me is I have to remake the same recipe, omitting the essential oil to see if I had the recipe right since I tweeked it a bit to suit the amount of coconut oil I had on hand. Hopefully it shouldn't seize again if I omit the essential oil. I'm picking from my research that it would have been the essential oil that upset things, especially as it was a different oil to the one I've previously used..(English as opposed to French lavender). Unfortunately I didn't remember that until I'd poured it in! One suggestion was to add the essential oil in some of the melted and warmed fats prior to adding in the lye. Or maybe I should just buy some more of the French lavender oil for future use!
In any case, it hasn't put me off making soap, I will just have to keep practising.