Monday, September 16, 2013

Spring time jobs in the garden

The other day was a nice Spring day just perfect for being outside in the garden. D and I spent the morning sowing seeds together. We put in some sunflowers (Giant Russian) and also some more beetroot.

Then, while I potted on some seedlings, D set off with the camera and took some photos of various flowers.

I particularly like this one of a vibrant cerise Arctosis flower:


And this bright red nasturtium flower. We have nasturtiums coming up everywhere in the garden this year, they are a good companion plant, the flowers look pretty in summer salads, and if they're growing in the wrong spot can easily be removed! Plus, importantly, the bees like them. I'm trying to grow more flowers in the vege garden because as well as looking pretty they feed the bees who we need for pollination of course (apart from their honey that is, when I get set up with a hive!)


 The tomato seedlings are doing well - I managed to get these ones going some weeks ago indoors. They are mainly the heirloom variety 'Brandywine Pink', since we had success with these biggies previously, and also a few 'Bloody Butcher' which I have not grown/tried before. Hopefully we willl get a good crop this season.

I also have some aubergine/eggplant, peppers and chilli seedlings coming along.

How are your seedlings shaping up?




2 comments:

Liz said...

How gorgeous they are too Bridget. It's definitely getting warmer. I'll have to redo my 'garden' all over again after an awful winter I'll be looking forward to some colour around the farm here.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Liz, thanks and yes it is warming up, although the wind can still be a bit chilly and it was very cold this morning with the clear sky overnight. At least we are drying out a bit now!