Friday, November 8, 2013

Sowing beans

I'm sowing a few different types of beans this season:


Clockwise from the top - the white bean is 'Climbing Butter', then a purple bean 'Dwarf Royal Burgundy', another purple bean 'Purple Tee Pee' (both of these purple beans turn green when cooked), the small black beans are 'Yard Long Runner' and finally the big black beans are 'Italian Flat' (a climbing bean). I like all types of bean, but hubby prefers the dwarf/French bean. Both varieties of purple dwarf bean have performed well here in previous seasons. I will report back on the others as and when.

What kind of beans do you like/grow?

6 comments:

BLD in MT said...

Sounds like a nice array! We enjoy growing bean, but so far we just experiment with different types every year. There are so many kinds!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hello BLD in MT, yes there are lots of kinds aren't there!

Liz said...

I'll have to try those!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Liz, keeping them watered will be my main job to remember! Hope we don't suffer a bad drought again this summer.

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

I'm growing Sunset runner beans (like the scarlet version but these have pink flowers), climbing cannelini and dwarf borlotti beans. I've grown these three varieties for the past few years and I save my own seed. This year I had a very low strike rate on the cannelini for some reason. It's a bit disappointing because I like to dry those and cook them in winter. I might need to try a different variety next year!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hope you get a reasonable crop of beans there Ruth