Monday, June 16, 2014

Making 'stuff'

Just sharing a short post on some of things I was doing when at home last week.



Last week we had a big storm and a LOT of rain, so I spent a bit of time indoors knitting and baking. The boys love to eat homemade cookies so I try to always have some on hand. This week it was shortbread which I cut into various 'space' themes using my rocket, sun, moon and star cutters. D was also learning about the solar system at school so this fitted in well for his school lunches!

The knitting was my first attempt with circular needles. I've been a knitter for years but for some reason never used circular needles. Never knew how easy they were! This project was a beanie (Rikke hat) and the wool had been recycled from an old hat and scarf I'd made a while back for D but he didn't wear ("too itchy" because of the wool). I like the hat and am pleased with it. Now onto another one in different yarn.



I also made up a big batch of baked granola. I used honey and sunflower oil to oven roast the seeds, nuts and oats, then add various dried fruits. It tastes great with some greek yoghurt and milk. Sometimes I use maple syrup instead of honey, but as our stock of maple syrup is running low I chose to use honey instead (still have a good amount of it from when we had our bee swarm).

Talking of honey, I will be sharing with you my efforts to purify beeswax in a forthcoming post..

4 comments:

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

Your beanie looks great! I crochet a lot but I'm not really drawn to knitting, however I would like to learn to knit socks. One day perhaps! I'm about to make a batch of granola tonight... I love it with yoghurt and lemon honey! Hope you're keeping warm and dry. More rain is forecast here for later this week, oh joy...

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ruth

Thanks.

I'm onto my second beanie, it's a nice small project and I'm enjoying having something to do of an evening. Really simple pattern too so I don't have to think about it much when watching a film!

The crochet beanies look nice too I should give one a go. I'm definitely a novice at crochet so I will have to chose an easy pattern!

BLD in MT said...

I've always hesitate to try the circulars, too. I don't know why exactly... Good work all around!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Thanks BLD in MT
Yes the circulars were easy, only thing was a bit tricky once fewer stitches had to shuffle them around on the 'string' a bit, got there eventually. Certainly a lot better not having to stitch up the pieces at the end of the project!