Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A feeling of Spring in the air

Today is sunny with a light breeze and warm - i.e. I can be outside gardening without a jacket. It feels like Spring although we are still in our Winter.

We were lucky to receive a gift of beautiful fresh lemons (thanks L x). I shall be whipping up lemon honey (curd) someday soon. Yummy.



This morning I've been hauling compost around and spreading it on the garden beds. Have transplanted a few strawberry plants and planted the rest of a bunch of leeks I bought a week or so ago. I find it very easy to get distracted when outside as there are always so many things to do, like weeding - my least favourite job! Anyhow, the veg garden is looking reasonably presentable for a change. I just need to finish off laying gravel on all the paths, which will make it look a lot better, plus be a lot less muddy.

The new calves are getting slightly less wary, and let me get close enough to take this photo without zooming
in much!:



 
I've also picked a few calendula flowers to dry, so I can make some oil for soap. Over at Down to Earth, Rhonda has a new recipe for calendula soap that I'm going to try soon.




8 comments:

Amy said...

That is really cool! I would love to make my own soap.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Amy
Soap making is really fun. Doesn't need a lot of skill, just a bit of preparation and careful measurement. Having a good recipe is paramount to success!

Liz said...

It's been glorious the last few days. Nice calves too they will taste very nice when they are all grown and ready for the freezer. I'll add to Amy's voice about the soap. I'd love to make it too. Be a lot of fun. Hope you and the family are well.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Liz
Yes it's been good weather, drying out a bit after all that rain!
You should definitely give soap making a try sometime.
Best wishes, Bridget :-)

Ockduspock said...

Your garden's looking great! I know what you mean about getting distracted, that always happens to me as well! I lvoe your countryside- so beautiful!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ock Du Spock
Thanks :-)
Haven't spent too much time in it because of a recent knee injury but at least you can see some edible plants and not just weeds!

Yang Saya Suka said...

Hi Bridget,

Your strawberry path looks nice, I wish I could have such a nice paths of strawberry...

The lemons and the calendulas colour the day. I love it!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Yang Saya Suka

Thank you! You have a lot of photos of colourful tropical plants on your blog and some interesting recipes!

Bridget