Saturday, February 28, 2015

Rangpur lime marmalade

It's been a while since I've made any marmalade. In fact, it seems I last made up a batch of lime marmalade in 2009 according to this blog!

The Rangpur limes have by far been the hardiest and quickest growing of all of our citrus trees. They have handled drought, storms and a bit of neglect pretty well. They consistently have fruit on them. All this is much appreciated since the other citrus, especially the lemons, are growing quite slowly.

Recently I was giving the lower branches a prune so that G could mow underneath and in the process knocked/chopped off a few fruit. It seemed appropriate to turn them into marmalade!


This time around I used a recipe from a fantastic book I received as a gift from my dear Mother and Father, The Gentle Art of Preserving, by Katie & Giancarlo Caldesi.


The recipe I chose for this batch of marmalade was the Vivien Lloyd's Lemon and Lime Marmalade.


And I'm very pleased with the result. To some of the jars I added a tablespoon of Cointreau or Rum as per the "Merry" marmalade recipe this one refers to. Will make some very nice gifts. I will do this one again for sure.


4 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

that looks yummy. I had a question though, I would have thought it would have been more greener in colour, or is it just the photo?

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Gill
No it's not the photo, it looks like that because the Rangpur lime is actually orange in colour. It's also known as the Mandarin lime. I did try and grow the more common Tahitian lime but it died! Might put another tree in and try again.

BLD in MT said...

Ooooh, I bet that is refreshing! I've never had any sort of lime preserve.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Beth
I much prefer the lime over orange marmalade, has a sweet and sour tang!