Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cupcake fun with D

Our seven year old son was home from school today, and we were wanting to do something creative together, so I suggested maybe we could do some baking.

D loves cupcakes and I am wanting to improve my piping and decorating skills, so we decided to make some cupcakes together. I made the actual cakes and then D did most of the decorating, even had a pretty good attempt at piping the frosting on top! I only managed to do a couple of the large pink ones before he was eager to take the piping bag off me! Then he went to town a bit with the silver cachous and sprinkles. We thought they looked very pretty by the time they were finished.


I am pleased that I have been able to source a supplier of natural food colours again. I really don't like using artificial food colours and would rather use plain buttercream icing/frosting. In the past I have used berry juice (like blueberry or blackberry) to make a pink/purple colour, but that is a little extra work and can add a little too much liquid to the icing/frosting especially if wanting a darker colour. I used to buy natural food colour from the supermarket but they don't seem to stock it anymore which is a shame. So if you live in NZ and you're wanting natural food colour, I suggest you check out the Naturally Cakes website.

The sprinkles are also natural colours, again though, I'm not sure my supermarket still stocks these so when they run out I will try the ones from Naturally Cakes.



Do you make cupcakes? What is your favourite way to decorate them?

Note: by the way I am not associated in any way with Naturally Cakes, just thought I would share this info about natural colours in case anyone is interested :-)


10 comments:

Ockduspock said...

How cool are those? What a fun thing to do!!!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

It was a lot of fun and they look very colourful I think :-)

Stoke Lane Lottie said...

They look great! Who's going to eat them all? Or maybe there are none left already.....

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

D's teacher always gets a small bagful, and we usually give some to a few other people! But there are still quite a few left in the fridge. Luckily they keep for a few days :-)

Yang Saya Suka said...

I'd like to eat the cupcakes... xi xi...

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

:-) They are tasty! Not so good for the figure though!

BLD in MT said...

We just found natural food dyes at a new market that opened in town earlier this year. It was exciting. I just have "boring" colored frosting most of the time, but now we can mix it up! Your cakes are beautiful and what a fun time with your son.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi BLD in MT
That's great news you have found somewhere close by that supplies the natural colours :-) Your frosting won't be "boring" anymore!

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

Thanks for the link, I had no idea these were available and I much prefer the natural to the unnatural! Plus their 100s and 1000s are really pretty! Your cupcakes look great too, yum...

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ruth
Glad you found it useful. Happy Baking!