Sunday, June 8, 2008

Goose for dinner!




What a surprise when after setting off for a bit of duck hunting, Graham came home with 2 geese!

Neither of us has eaten goose before and I quickly surfed the net to find out what would be the best way to prepare and cook it.

Turns out that geese, while being quite large birds, actually do not have all that much meat on them. After reading some instructions on one web site, we decided that 'we' (aka Graham) would remove just the breasts and also save the legs. Besides as we only have the small benchtop oven at this point in time, there'd be no way I could cook a whole goose!

So the breasts and legs are all packaged up ready to freeze, after I let them "hang" - aka sit in the fridge for a couple of days. This apparently improves the flavour of game, without letting it get too high.

I haven't decided on a recipe yet, although one with red wine, garlic, herbs sounds the right idea. Will post it when I do.

No comments: