Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rangpur lime marmalade



Yesterday I collected just on 1kg of limes from one of our rangpur lime trees. This is the most fruit we've harvested as yet from any of our citrus trees so quite exciting! Since I read that rangpur makes excellent marmalade, I was keen to try making some.

The recipe I used was from the ever useful "A NZ Country Harvest Cookbook" by Gilian Painter. I highly recommend this book, especially for those of you out there with your own orchard, it contains lots of old-fashioned recipes for preserves, pickles, sauces, drinks, wine, cakes etc using various types of fruit and veg. I'd also like to try out the quince marmalade sometime. Anyway, I digress..back to the rangpur marmalade.

I sliced the fruit finely and placed in the preserving pan, adding 2 litres of water to soak overnight. Then this morning I boiled up the fruit for about 1/4 hour until the peel was soft. Then I measured it and added 3/4 cup of sugar to each cup. After dissolving the sugar, stirring all the while with a wooden spoon, I increased the heat (on the wok part of the hob as this is hottest) until the marmalade came to a rolling boil. It was set (test a bit on a cold saucer until wrinkles appear) after about 25-30 mins.

I'm very pleased with the results, the quantity made 13 medium sized jars. Can't wait to try it out on some toast in the morning.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Wonderful to be making marmalade with your own fruit - I am SOOOOO jealous ;)

Joanna

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Joanna
Yes we're very lucky we can grow citrus, although I think they'd do a lot better with some shelter from the strong winds, that's on our BIG TO DO list!
Hope all's well with you and you're enjoying a bit of spring weather now.
Bridget

Unknown said...

Dear Joanna,

I am an expat living in Santa Monica, California. I have just been given some Rangpur Limes. Would you share the complete recipe with me. The bookstore doesn't have the cookbook you used and there is not much canning in my neck of the woods. We were canning at 13 years of age in my home town of Palmerston North.
Hope to hear from you,
Sandy

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Sandy

How wonderful for you to receive some Rangpur limes. I don't think they are very common here, most people grow the green skinned varieties.

Sorry you weren't able to find the book.

You don't say how much fruit you were given but I would suggest trying the recipe with just a small amount(I used 1kg) as too large a quantity can impair the setting.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well!

Unknown said...

Hi joanna,
I'm from Rangpur,Bangladesh Since my great grandfather till today we export traditionally produced rangpur limes, to Tanqueray gin Ltd, UK.
And I'm extremely thankful and grateful to you for teaching me a new awesome recipe. I just tasted the marmalade with some slices of bread on my breakfast it was totally superb.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Mustakim

Glad you found my recipe and are enjoying the marmalade.
So interesting to hear that your great grandfather grew them commercially.
I don't think they are very common here in New Zealand, most people grow the green limes (Tahitian).
Best wishes
Bridget