Thursday, February 7, 2013

Some South Island photos for your enjoyment

Akaroa Harbour

Moeraki boulders (yep it was high tide!)
Looking across Foveaux straight to Stewart Island from Riverton, Southland


Dramatic Milford Sound (actually it's a fiord - carved out by a glacier)

One of many spectacular rivers in the Fiordland National Park

Beech forest and mountains

Beautiful Lake Wanaka

D enjoying the crystal clear water at the Blue Pools, Makarora River, Haast Pass

One of many waterfalls

Fox Glacier

Mt Cook/Aoraki


Ka Roimata o Hine Hukatere (Franz Josef Glacier)

Mahitahi (Bruce Bay) South Westland - where rimu forest meets the coast

Spectacular bridge along the Arthur's Pass road

Hops in sunny Motueka, near Nelson
Hope you enjoyed viewing these photos!

9 comments:

Paola said...

Thanks for these photos, they remind me how beautiful the South Island of NZ is. We visited in 1995 - I'd love to go back.

angela said...

Beautiful photos I will be visiting you country in march, so this had definately whetted my appetite

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Paola
Yes me too, our visit was too short, there were so many lovely bush walks we had to pass up - one day..

Hi Angela, I would advise heading to the West Coast, not much of interest on the East side apart from Kaikoura (although Akaroa was scenic).

BLD in MT said...

Oh my goodness, what beauty! What an enchanting trip that must have been. It all looks just glorious. Seeing a glacier is something I would really like to do someday.

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi BLD in MT
Yes it was all pretty awesome. In fact we couldn't stop saying "wow that's awesome"! I think I'm right in saying the NZ glaciers are the only ones that go through temperate rainforest.

Charlotte Scott said...

Lovely pics. Makes me miss the South Island. Going to have to plan a big road trip with the kids one day soon.

And I laughed at your scallopini! (and your boy's headgear - something my boy would do too)

BLD in MT said...

That is really fascinating about the glaciers. How cool is this world we live in?!?!

Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Ms Lottie, yes do go on that road trip sometime, I can highly recommend it!

Hi BLD in MT
Yes indeed, mindboggling so sometimes :-)

Dr Mum said...

Yeah!
Road Trip
looks like you had a great time.