Monday, September 22, 2008

Goat and turnip curry

I found the following recipe for lamb and turnip curry on the net and follow it loosely to make one with some goat meat. "Loosely" as I had to omit ingredients I didn't have on hand, such as the cinnamon leaf, fennel powder and I used a touch of ground cardamom in place of whole ones. I also didn't bother with the first step i.e. salting the turnips, as mine were quite small and therefore I figured would not be too bitter.

After frying the onion, garlic, spices and meat for a while I transferred the mixture to my crockpot where I added some tomato puree and homemade lamb stock. After several hours the meat should be nice and tender. We'll have some rice and I might make some chapatis too.

I dug up the first of our purple top turnips (variety 'Milan White Red Top') especially for the occasion.

No comments: