Finally got around to doing something with the crab apples. I followed one recipe which suggested using no more than 2kgs of fruit, boiling up and then straining through a jelly bag. I've a feeling I should have used more water than was indicated though, as I only ended up with 600mls of liquid...... so I haven't made the 2nd part yet (using sugar to form the jam like jelly). I think I'll boil up the rest of the fruit first so I've got a bit more to play with!
Also the quinces are now ripe, so I'll be doing something with them in a day or so. Not always easy to find time, Dylan our 10 month old son, requires a lot of my attention!