Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Figs


Imagine my surprise when hubby came home last night, with a huge crop of fresh figs acquired from one of the farms he was working on! Must be about 6kgs all up. Some of them were a bit crushed, so I took it upon myself to deal to those ones first as figs must be among the most fragile of fruits and do not keep well.

An hour or so later and hey presto 7 jars of lovely jam.

The recipe I used was:

2kgs figs, soaked in boiling water for 10 mins then destalked and chopped (next batch I will chop finer)
3/4 cup water
6 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Place figs, water and sugar in preserving pan. Stir until sugar melts then boil rapidly until thick. Add lemon juice, boil for a bit longer. Pour into hot sterile jars and seal.

Mine did not set all that well, I rushed it towards the end as it was late at night and I wanted to go to bed... however it tastes just fine. Rather delicious in fact.

Still have not made the crab apple jelly... but I did process the remainder of the crab apples and now have the juice ready in the fridge.

No comments: