Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blackberry and apple pie

We have a lot of apples on hand (in the 2nd fridge) mainly as we like to buy in bulk from a good grocer. So I made this pie the other night.


350g plain flour
150g cold butter, cubed
100ml ice-cold water
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 apples (recipe said Granny Smiths but I only had dessert apples - Pink Lady)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
250g frozen or fresh blackberries
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar, and extra for sprinkling on top
2 Tbsp cornflour
1 egg white, lightly beaten

I made the pastry by hand (since my food processor is in storage) rubbing in the flour and butter, then adding the water and egg.
I peeled and sliced the apples, then mixed them with lemon juice, added the blackberries, cinnamon, sugar and cornflour.
Once the pastry had chilled for a while I rolled it out to fit my pie dish, added the filling then topped it off with more pastry. Then brushed the top with the egg white and sprinkled a little more caster sugar on top.
Cooked for40 mins at 190c.

Verdict: looked nice, but the apples were crunchy - maybe because of the variety I used, or maybe too much filling? The following night I reheated the pie in the oven for a while and the apple was a bit softer. If I made it again I'd probably cook the apple first.

No comments: