Friday, August 1, 2008

Breadmaking

Over the years I've tried baking my own bread on a handful of occasions (without the aid of a breadmaker that is) and never been successful. After a bit of investigation, I've discovered that conditions in each country vary considerably, so much so that to try baking bread from a UK bread book (as was the origin of the one I owned) would be futile. I've subsequently purchased an old copy of "The NZ Bread Book", written by Mary Brown, Helen Leach and Nancy Tichborne.

Yesterday I tried out one of their recipes, for "Cold Oven Batter Bread".
Their description of this bread is as follows: "this quick bread became popular during a bakers' strike, when even those who had never made bread before were forced to make their own or resort to scones and bsicuits. No kneading is required and the short rising time of 15 minutes takes place in a slow oven."

While it did not rise as much as I expected - came out quite a flat loaf - perhaps I could have put more batter in the pan that I did (the recipe said not to fill more than 1/2 the tin), the taste and texture was very good. So I'll try it again, just making one large loaf not 2 flat ones.

1 Tbs honey
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold milk
1 Dsp dried yeast

1 cup white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup rye flour
1 cup fine cornmeal

1 1/2 tsp salt

Measure the honey into large bowl. Add boiling water, stir, then add milk, stir again. The liquid should be warm not hot, sprinkle yeast on top and leave in warm place for 10 mins.

Combine flours and salt in another bowl. Grease a large loaf tin.

When yeast is frothy, stir gently to mix. Tip dry ingredients into yeast liquor. Mix thoroughly with wooden spoon. Spoon mixture into loaf tin.

Place in cold oven turn on to 100deg C for 15 mins. Then increase to 185deg C for about 45 mins.

We ate most of the bread with butter and strong cheddar, also with some homemade soup. It was delicious.

No comments: