Sunday, November 16, 2008

Homemade digestive biscuits

This is a recipe my Mother sent to me from England some time ago. I used Steel cut oats rather than rolled oats, mainly as I bought a bag in error...doing my usual snatch and grab technique... and they do take a lot longer to cook for porridge so I prefer rolled oats for that. However, I think they gave the biscuits a nice texture so I'll use them again in this recipe.




100g wholemeal flour
100g butter
100g oatmeal (rolled oats or the larger "steel cut" oats)
50g soft brown sugar
a pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder

Mix the dry ingredients then rub in the butter until "breadcrumbs". Add about 1 Tbsp milk, mix with hands to form a firm dough.
Roll out (between 2 layers of plastic film) to about 3mm thick.
Put in fridge for a short time to firm up, then cut out biscuits with a cookie cutter (with the larger oats this was slightly tricky, I didn't worry too much about making perfect circles).
Bake on greased tray for about 15mins at 180deg C. Cool on rack immediately.

No comments: