Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Spelt flour bread




I've not had a lot of success making brown bread in the bread maker. I purchased some organic spelt flour (amongst some other grains like rye, millet and cornmeal) with the thought of getting busy making bread by hand. So far that has been the exception rather than the rule and the good old bread maker is certainly very convenient time-wise even if it doesn't bake the most nutritious bread. Also G takes his own lunch so we need to have bread on hand for sandwiches.
Anyway the spelt flour seems to perform well.

I have a Sunbeam bread maker and I followed the recipe for white bread 750g size, substituting 200g of spelt flour for the white.

315ml water (tepid if you are not using timer option)
1 Tbsp butter
600g flour (*I used 200g spelt flour)
1 Tbsp milk powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp bread maker yeast (note this is for NZ conditions, other countries may require less or more yeast)

Bake according to your bread maker instructions, I chose a light crust.

No comments: